Monday, July 7, 2014

Auditioning for Sew-Vivor

Rach at Family Ever After is once again hosting her fabulous sewing competition...."Sew-vivor". I have loved watching this competition in the past and am SUPER excited to be entering this year because....it's QUILT time!! This season is for quilters. 



While I do love sewing clothing for myself and my kids, there's something comfy and wonderful about quilting. 

We can enter ONE quilt to be judged to enter the competition. After lots of thought (and asking family members and friends), I decided that The Clemson Quilt was the way to go! I love some of my traditional quilts, but for this competition, I knew using my own design was the way to go!



This quilt took some serious math and a lot of graph paper. I wanted to get the "tilt" of the paw just right. The actual piecing is patchwork squares, and some half square triangles. The ombre fabric gives the paw some great dimension that a solid orange just couldn't have done!

The paw is orange ombre by Riley Blake, and the purple and white solids are Kona cottons. The bold orange and white striped binding is 2" stripe by Riley Blake.

The quilt is perfect for snuggling with two babies, measuring at 50"x 60". 




The quilting is an all-over meandering pattern. I usually love straight line quilting for a modern look, but the texture of free-motion quilting is amazing.



Because most of our time at Clemson is spent outside, I loved this gray woodgrain print for the backing! It keeps the quilt neutral, and adds an interesting pattern to the back. 

I'm looking forward to seeing the other quilts and quilted projects entered this year.
Fingers crossed that I get to compete against some amazing quilters!!

You can see some of my other favorite quilting projects under my Quilts tab at the top.


10 comments:

  1. This looks wonderful!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always loved this quilt! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really like the colors you used!
    the different shades really made things pop.
    the quilting is so much fun as well.
    best of luck to you in the auditions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! I especially LOVE the backing fabric; excellent choice! Best, Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great quilt! Love the unique design and the fabric choices. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this from the moment I saw it for the first time. And then I scrolled down and saw the back... I'm crazy about those woodgrain prints! Thanks so much for entering Sewvivor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rach! I'm anxious to see who makes the top 16!

      Delete
  7. A very beautiful entry, good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...