Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Running Curahee



I had the privilege of running my first 10K this weekend! This one was special to me. It was the running of Curahee Mountain, in honor of the 70th anniversary of D-Day. 

As the daughter and granddaughter of proud military men, I was so excited to participate in a race that was honoring our brave soldiers, past and present.

When "Band of Brothers" came out on HBO several years ago, I became obsessed and fell in love with the documentary. It tells the story of Easy company of the 506th Parachute Infantry division and their missions in WWII, but it all began at Camp Toccoa, with a lot of training by running up Curahee, and back down. 

It's 3 miles up and 3 miles down.

At the start of the 3rd mile, UP the mountain on a gravel road, I was thinking...."what have I gotten myself into???" Not gonna lie, this course was brutal, but the view from the top of the mountain was worth every step.

(I wore my phone just for the purpose of getting a couple of mountaintop pictures. 
I didn't think about sweat making my lense super steamy!!)


Steamy or not, I can still tell where I'm standing...and I love it!
It was a hot hot hot and humid day in Georgia, which just added to the challenge of this course. 


I was pleasantly surprised to finish and come in 3rd in my age group, especially since they were in 10 year increments for this race. Placing in my age group in a race was on my bucket list...so that's getting scratched off sooner than expected!



Hubby and the kids came with me, so after the race we spent some time touring the monuments. They even brought in some military vehicles and memorabilia for the participants to see. The babies loved seeing the old cars, helmets, and uniforms.



It was a great family day for us, and a memorable run for me. Races for a good cause are my absolute favorite, and this one couldn't have been any better!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...