Monday, April 14, 2014

Quilting for the Wall

Hubby and I, as well as the rest of our family are members of the United Methodist Church. I have been my whole life, and Hubby joined our church family before we got married (which his family has declared will send us both to Hell)....but I digress. I love our church and have enjoyed being a member for 28 years.

While doing my ever-growing pile of scrapbusting projects, I decided I wanted to make something "church related". I wasn't quite sure what that meant, but after some sketching, I had an idea.

I wanted to make a mini-quilt, or wall hanging of our United Methodist symbol. 



I love love love how it turned out. Quilt math can be tricky, but a couple of nights with some graph paper and a calculator and I had a reasonable plan.

The piecing was easy, and I quilted it with an all over meandering line. It has great texture. I didn't want the quilting to show up as a contrast to the colored blocks, so I quilted each color separately, red, black, and white.



The backing of the quilt is a fabric that I have been wanting to use for years! I just never had the project for it. Both of my parents, as well as my uncle are the musicians at our church, so I thought it was very fitting for the backing to be this sweet sheet music print. 



I love seeing it hang in our house, but I think I have other plans for it. It may end up living elsewhere soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...